Cauliflower and Broccoli cheese
Preheat the oven to 180°C
No Image Available
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 50g unsalted butter
- 50g plain flour
- 500ml semi-skimmed milk
- 500g fresh or frozen broccoli
- 75g mature cheddar cheese
- 1kg cauliflower
- 2 slices of ciabatta or stale bread
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 25g flaked almonds
- olive oil
- Peel and finely slice the garlic and put it into a medium pan on a medium heat with the butter. When the butter has melted, stir in the flour for a minute to make a paste, then gradually add the milk, whisking as you go, until lovely and smooth. Add the broccoli (cut up first, if using fresh) and simmer for around 20 minutes, or until the broccoli is cooked through and starts to break down, then mash or blitz with a stick blender (adding an extra splash of milk to loosen, if using fresh broccoli). Grate in half the Cheddar and season to perfection.
- Arrange the cauliflower florets in an appropriately sized baking dish, pour over the broccoli white sauce and grate over the remaining Cheddar. Blitz the bread into breadcrumbs in a food processor, then pulse in the thyme leaves and almonds. Toss with a lug of oil and a pinch of salt and pepper, then scatter evenly over the cauliflower cheese.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until golden and cooked through.
I've left out the bread to make this recipe soy free and it still tastes great!