Chocolate dipped shortbread
Preheat oven to 180C
No Image Available
- 340g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3½ cups Plain Flour
- 0.25 teaspoon salt
- 200g milk chocolate, finely chopped
- With an electric mixer, mix together butter and sugar and vanilla, until just combined. Add the flour and salt and mix on low speed until the dough forms together.
- Dump the mixture onto a floured surface and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough 1cm or so thick and cut with a cookie cutter. Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Let cool.
- Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper. Microwave 3 ounces of the chopped chocolate for 30 seconds. Stir. Heat in additional 30 second intervals until the chocolate is melted completely. Add the remaining chocolate and stir, without heating further, until smooth.
- Dip half of each cookie into the chocolate mixture, then place on lined baking sheet to allow the chocolate to set.
I've also used dark chocolate for this recipe in the past. It makes the biscuit much "heavier" but it works.