Summery soup with pesto
No Image Available
- 1 courgette, halved and thinly sliced
- 200g frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 vegetable or chicken stock cube or concentrate
- 250g bag of ready-cooked basmati rice (or left-over cooked, cooled rice)
- 100g bag baby spinach
- 4 tbsp pesto
- (fresh from the chiller cabinet has the best flavour and colour)
- olive oil for drizzling (optional)
- grated Parmesan, to serve
- Boil the kettle. Tip the courgette and peas into a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Cover the bowl, then leave for 3 mins until the vegetables have softened slightly. Meanwhile, re-boil the kettle and make up 600ml/1pt of stock and taste it for seasoning as this is the base of the soup.
- Drain the veg, then put back into the bowl along with the rice and spinach leaves. Pour over the hot stock, then cover and leave for another 2 mins until heated through and the spinach has wilted.
- Season to taste, then ladle the soup into serving bowls. Add a swirl of pesto, olive oil, if using, and the grated parmesan. Serve with crusty bread.