Pasta with tomato and hidden veg sauce
No Image Available
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 carrot, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2 pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomato with garlic
- 1 tbsp each caster sugar and balsamic vinegar
- 300g dried pasta shapes
- Parmesan, shaved, and rocket, to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan and gently cook the onion, celery, carrots and leek until soft, about 20 mins.
- Add the peppers and cook for 10 mins more, then tip in the tomatoes, sugar and vinegar. Simmer for at least 20 mins – the longer the better.
- Cook the pasta following pack instructions. Meanwhile, blitz the sauce with a hand blender until smooth, season and return to the heat to keep warm while the pasta cooks.
- Drain the pasta and toss through the sauce. Serve in bowls topped with shaved Parmesan and rocket leaves, if you like.