Turkey meatballs in tomato & fennel sauce
Requires a blender although I find cross chopping the vegetables works fine
- 400g turkey mince
- 25g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 400g spaghetti, cooked, to serve
- Put the mince in a mixing bowl with the breadcrumbs and half the garlic. Season and mix well to combine. Using your hands, shape the mixture into 12 balls, then chill for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the onion, carrot and remaining garlic. Cook for 5-6 mins until softened. Add the fennel seeds and cook for a few secs. Tip in the tomatoes with half a can of water, then stir in the tomato purée. Season and simmer for 15 mins until thickened. Using an electric hand blender, whizz until roughly smooth.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the meatballs for 8-10 mins until cooked through. Transfer to the sauce and simmer until piping hot. Serve with spaghetti.